Working With Vunerable People

With the introduction in the ACT of the Working with Vulnerable People (Background Checking) Act 2011 which came into effect on 7 November 2013, the rules for volunteers and visitors to schools have been changed. The Act requires people who volunteer or visit schools on a regular basis to undergo a background (criminal history) check and become registered with the Office of Regulatory Services (ORS) before they are allowed to work with children, unless they are able to claim an exemption from this requirement.

The aim of the Act is to reduce the rate of harm to vulnerable people and children in the ACT and as of 7 November 2013 any person over the age of 16 years, including a volunteer or visitor, who has contact with children in certain situations must be registered with the ORS unless exempted under the Act.

PLEASE NOTE: There is no fee for volunteers to apply for registration.

The Education and Training Directorate already has policies and procedures in place to protect children and young people however; the Working with Vulnerable People Check (WWVP) replaces current checks where contact with children is sufficiently frequent to require registration.

Volunteers and visitors should contact the Principal if they need clarification about activities at Campbell Primary School.

The Education and Training Directorate appreciates the strong commitment of many volunteers and visitors over the school year and notes that contact between volunteers or visitors and students may exceed the limits prescribed by the frequency test which is set at 3 days in any 4-week period or 7 days in a 12-month period. This will often be the principle factor in determining whether registration is required. Volunteers and visitors can continue to support schools in a number of ways without the need to be registered under the act.

For more information on the Act or if you wish to register with the Office of Regulatory Services (ORS) to work with vulnerable people please collect a registration form from the Front Office.

You can also download the WWVP Application form from the Office of Regulatory Services (ORS).